Thursday 22 January 2015

A Winter's Day at Wendy's Country Market

In the frozen chill of winter, I look for signs of life and warmth to nurture and sustain me through the season. From time to time, I indulge myself in a daydream of warm sandy beaches, scorching sun, and a fruity cocktail in hand. The same might be said of winter fare.We look for signs of freshness to lift our spirits and remind us of the brightness and flavours of summer. Conveniently, summer indulgences seem omnipresent along the grocery store shelves filled with bright coloured produce imported from California, Florida, Mexico and even as far as South Africa, Spain, Greece. 



Next time you're out grocery shopping, I challenge you to a little game - what would your cart look like if you limited yourself to products of Canada? harder yet, Ontario? 

This morning as I pulled up to Wendy's Country Market, I braced myself in anticipation of the cold air waiting for me. Yet as I exited, I was greeted the feeling of radiant sun against my face, the sounds of clucking hens in the distance - signs that even in the 'dead of winter', there is life and warmth all around me still.   


As I filled my basket, my regular 'Canada-and-better-yet-Ontario' challenge was suddenly not much of game at all. I found beats from Patchwork Gardens in Battersea, crisp greens from Burt's Greenhouses in Odessa, bright red apples from Hall's outside Brockville... just to name three examples.


For those of you not yet familiar with Wendy's Country and Mobile Market, Wendy is a huge advocate and supporter of local food - connecting local growers and producers to the Kingston community year round. I invite you to check out their website for lots more great stuff about them. A drive up to Lyndhurst is a beautiful way to get out of the city for a bit and do something different. However, Wendy's Mobile Market is a convenient option for those interested in saving themselves the drive (households should plan to get their order in by Sunday evenings for delivery to your door the following Friday). This time of year, Wendy continues to offer a wide range of produce, meats, cheeses, honey, preserves, prepared food, baked goods, flour, coffee, tea, etc., etc. all from local sources!


As the winter season continues, may your basket and belly be full with the brightly coloured produce of locally grown produce; may you be nurtured and sustained by the signs of warmth, brightness, and flavours around you. Eat local, Kingston!

-------------

by Lauren Anstey
Eat Local, Kingston! creator & blogger

No comments:

Post a Comment